Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fun and Easy Tutu

The cutest tutu model ever!

I had a friend who was talking about making her little girl a tutu for some pictures. So, it got me curious about how to make one and it actually turned out to be very simple. All you need is some tulle and an elastic waistband. I hate to say an amount on either because it totally depends on how full or long you want the tutu and how big your child's waist is. I think the rule of thumb on waistbands is to make them an inch bigger than you need. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me. Anyways, all you do is measure the waist and sew the two end of the waistband together. Or, to make this step more simple, you can just buy one of those stretchy headbands, that is if you have a small child. If you have a bigger child that probably won't work. Also, you can even use ribbon if you want a tie on tutu. After getting the waist band ready all you have to do is cut your tulle into strips. Again with this it depends on how poofy and long you want it. If you want a shorter one cut the strips shorter. For this one I had my fabric folded in half (hot dog way), and just cut my strips about 2-3 inches wide. I folded it so I wouldn't have to cut the whole width of the fabric. It's half as much work. I like to make my strips a little different so I don't measure or anything. I think different lengths and widths make it look better. Next you just tie your strips of tulle to the waistband. Here is how I like to tie them. I couldn't think of a way to tell how to do it so I how the picture helps. Really I don't think it matters how you tie them on as along as it's a knot that is going to stay in place. If you want you can also tie ribbon on the waste abnd with the tulle. It doesn't matter, just be creative. I have seen them done with multiple colors in one, or with flowers glued on. Just do what you like and have fun with it. Ryan loves his, even though I did not make it for him. I made him a cape to replace it though because I think he liked it too much. But we got good pictures of him in to show his future children. We are mean parents :)

1 comment:

  1. Hehhe... love the tutu on him! What a great easy way! I found some cute way to make butterfly wings to match! I will send you the link!

    ReplyDelete