Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Simple Money Saving

So I had a hard time sleeping last night because I was trying to organize all of the ideas that I want to put on here. So I decided to share a simple money saving tip today. I think I saw this on like Oprah or something like 4 years ago, but when I watched it, I thought it was such a good idea that I needed to remember it when I was married and poor someday.

So I am always spending way too much at the grocery store, and meat is part of that problem. It is so expensive! I love chicken, but I refuse to pay $3.99 a pound for it. And yes, they have those frozen bags of chicken that are a little cheaper, but I think they are a little too expensive too. So I have started to buy chicken drumsticks, wings, and thighs. Yeah, they aren't as pretty as a chicken breast, but a lot of the time you can get it for 99 cents a pound! I can spend $4.00 and feed my family for 3 nights.

There are great recipes all over online for chicken pieces. They are so easy to make. I usually bake them to be a little more on the healthy side. If you want some good recipes go to allrecipes.com. It has some really good ones. You can even use recipes that you use for chicken tenders or breasts. A marinade is a marinade, and a breading is a breading, no matter what you put it on. You can even cook it and then take the chicken off the bones and use it in salads or pasta, be creative.

I hope this tip is helpful, we have saved quite a bit of grocery money this way. (And you can still splurge every now and then and buy a nice chicken breast!) If you have any good recipes to use on chicken, email them to me and I will post them for you!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I need to cook with chicken more often, I only have a few recipes that I use over and over again. Oh I need to talk to you, I talked to Eileen yesterday so we can start planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3.99 a pound where do you shop? lol good tip though I never really thought of doing that! Usually I am going to be tearing it up anyway!

    ReplyDelete